PREP TIME: 15 min | COOK TIME: 25 min TOTAL TIME: 40 min | YIELDS: 2 servings
|1-9 oz pkg||Three Bridges Spinach and Cheese Tortellini|
|6 oz||smoked sausage|
|1 tbsp||olive oil|
|1||medium onion, diced|
|1-14.5 oz can||diced tomatoes with chilies|
|2 cups||chicken broth|
|3 cups||fresh spinach|
|1 cup||monterey jack, shredded|
|1||green onion, sliced|
- Thinly slice the smoked sausage and add it to a large skillet with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Sauté the sausage over medium heat until it is nicely browned, about 5-7 minutes. Drain off the excess fat.
- Add the onion to the skillet and sauté until the onion has softened. Add the can of diced tomatoes and the chicken broth. Stir to combine and dissolve any browned bits off of the bottom of the skillet. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the fresh spinach, one cup at a time, until wilted. If you add it all at once, the skillet will be too full to stir.
- Add the uncooked pasta to the skillet and make sure it is all submerged under the liquid. Turn the heat down to low and let it simmer for 4 minutes, or until the pasta is tender. Stir once or twice while the pasta cooks to keep from sticking.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese on top, replace the lid, and let it sit for a few minutes or until the cheese is melted. Garnish with green onions. Serve hot and enjoy!